The Molecular and Macromolecular Chemistry Department of the Institute Charles Gerhardt Montpellier (ICGM) consists of chemists and physicochemists involved in different fields of chemistry (organic, inorganic, heterochemical, organometallic, chemistry of coordination as well as chemistry of polymers). The activities of this department involve the development of a diverse range of compounds, going from molecules to materials, as well as their applications.
The teams in this department work on projects encompassing different fields :
- Soft chemistry processes such as "sol-gel", using inorganic polycondensation reactions
- “Economical reactions” according to the principles of "green chemistry"
- The use of non-conventional reaction environments such as supercritical CO2 or aqueous polymerizations
- Photochemistry and electrochemistry, and pi-conjugated materials
- Self-assembly processes, synthesis and implementation of elementary bricks or structuring agents from renewable resources
- Catalysis, nanochemistry ....
The methods of synthesis of (nano)material, organic, hybrid and composites (notably based on fluorine, silicium, phosphorus), and also of surface modifications involve molecular and macromolecular engineering by targeting controlled architectures. These lead to organization of matter at different scales, and their properties are studied in collaboration with physical chemists of the department.
The researchers in the department have acquired an international-level expertise and are recognized in different fields such as health, imaging, catalysis, magnetism, optics, electronics, energy, organics materials, decontamination and sustainable development. Over the years, the researchers of the CMM department have developed a policy of valorization of results.