The Institute Carnot chimie Balard Cirimat
Six research teams (IAM, AM²N, AIME, C2M, MACS and MESO) of the Institute Charles Gerhardt Montpellier (ICGM) are members of the Institute Carnot Chimie Balard Cirimat, together with other scientific teams of the Institute des Biomolécules Max Mousseron (IBMM), Institute Européen des Membranes (IEMM) and Centre Inter-Universitaire de Recherche et d'Ingénierie des Matériaux de Toulouse (CIRIMAT).
A research of excellence in the field of Chemistry and Materials for the support of the innovative companies
The Institute Carnot Chimie Balard Cirimat is specialized in chemical science and engineering, from the molecule to material. The research teams are recognized for their very high scientific level and their skills for innovation with companies.
The work of the researchers, linked to the industrial partners, generates innovation in several domains: energy, health, sustainable chemistry, materials for transport and high-performance materials.
An acknowledged partnership
With a recognized partnership activity, researches at the Institute Carnot Chimie Balard Cirimat are part of a reliable partnership to assist companies in their innovative projects and to develop integrated solutions for their success.
Facing the societal challenges of tomorrow, the Institute Carnot Chimie Balard Cirimat supports strategic fields of activity to encourage innovation and make technological progresses. It promotes a good balance between excellence and the resolution of applicative problems and it also promotes the interdisciplinary cooperation in order to foster synergies and maximize its performance in the themes currently developed.
Main fields of application :
- Materials and processes for Energy, particularly new fuels, fuel cells, hydrogen vector, electrochemical storage and energy conversion, structural materials for nuclear devices.
- Health and cosmetic, pharmaceuticals, pharmacological tools, biomaterials, vectorization.
- Materials for transport (aeronautical, spatial, automobile, railroad), structural materials, coating components.
- High performance materials: metals, alloys, ceramic and polymers, elaboration processes, nanomaterials, sustainability.
- Chemistry and biobased materials.
- Treatment processes, membrane processes.
To know more about the Institute Carnot Chimie Balard Cirimat
Laboratory of Excellence CheMISyst
The Laboratory of Excellence (LabEx) CheMISyst includes the research community of the Pôle chimie Balard. It gathers scientists from the Institute Charles Gerhardt Montpellier (ICGM), the Institute des Biomolécules Max Mousseron (IBMM), the Institute Européen des Membranes (IEMM) and the Institute de Chimie Séparative de Marcoule (ICSM) but also teams of the Ecole des Mines d'Alès (EMA) and the Laboratory Charles Coulomb (L2C).
CheMISyst is the recipient of a "Laboratory of Excellence" investment launched in 2011 by the "Agence Nationale de la Recherche" (ANR) and has received a EUR 8 million endowment for the 2011 to 2019 period under the "Future Investments" program. Focusing on the Chemistry of molecular and interfacial systems, the CheMISyst LabEx of the Pôle chimie Balard exhibits powerful dynamic initiated several years ago. Linked administratively with the Université de Montpellier (UM) and scientifically with Stephane Pellet-Rostaing, the CheMISyst LabEx is coordinated by the Pôle chimie Balard.
The CheMISyst LabEx investigates the chemistry of molecular and interfacial systems, which is a specific theme of the Pôle chimie Balard, offering new perspectives on the knowledge of new materials for applications in the fields of energy, recycling, cosmetics, biology and health.
This theme is structured around 4 main topics:
- Molecular and interfacial systems for new materials
- Chemical systems with bio-molecules
- Separation process and recycling with chemical systems
- Long-ranged interactions in chemical systems
This program involves interdisciplinary collaborations. It has the ambition be recognized on a long-time scale and to develop expertise and competences which could provide the Pôle chimie Balard an international identity, both on the academic and industrial innovation plans.
The members of the Management Committee of the LabEx are:
- Stéphane PELLET-ROSTAING, Scientific and Technical Responsible of the LabEx CheMISyst, ICSM
- Jean-Marie DEVOISSELLE, ICGM
- Philippe MIELE, IEM
- Pascal DUMY, IBMM
- Thomas ZEMB, ICSM
- José Marie LOPEZ CUESTA, EMA
- Christian LIGOURRE, L2C
M. Jean-Jacques VASSEUR, ED459
The institutes being part of the LabEx are:
- Université de Montpellier, UM
- École Nationale Supérieure de Chimie de Montpellier, ENSCM
- Commissariat à l’Énergie Atomique et aux Énergies Alternatives de Marcoule, CEA
- Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Délégation Languedoc Roussillon, CNRS DR13
- École des Mines d'Alès, EMA
- Languedoc-Roussillon Universités, Communauté d'Universités et établissements
The CheMISyst LabEx in numbers:
- 29 PhD theses, 27 Postdocs and 52 internship initiatives supported;
- 5 internal schools et 17 thematic workshops organised;
- 4 invited professors teachers hosted.
En savoir plus sur le LabEx CheMISyst