COSA, an action implemented in the direction of Arts and Sciences
In April 2016, the Charles Gerhardt Montpellier Institute (ICGM), the Institute of Electronics and Systems (IES), the National School of Architecture of Montpellier (ENSAM) and the Ecole Supérieure des Beaux-Arts MOCO, decided to collaborate in order to conduct discussions and experiments on Research, Science and Art, with a view to promoting within their respective structures, common projects at the crossroads of these themes. This is the birth of the COSA group, COnnexion Science & Art.
The aim of such an initiative is to promote strong interaction and shared reflection between researchers, scientists and artists, and to support artistic creativity.
To do this, the group’s collaborative projects are undertaken in several directions:
- workshops on subject matter and biomimicry within the Ecole Supérieure des Beaux-Arts MOCO (pedagogical participation and presentations of final achievements);
- thematic working groups to create dialogue and creation between the artists and scientists involved (e.g. material and sound in the process of being formed);
- the pooling of know-how for artistic creations (e.g. within the framework of the Porosity https://www.porosity-art.com/) network).
- events on common arts-sciences themes (evening screening/debate, exhibition of scientific images, exchanges and interventions of artists in local scientific institutions, participation in congresses, cultural Mondays of the UM, Brain Week…).
- March 17, 2022: Organization of an evening debate on “Bi-polarity, between creative genius and mental disorder” as part of Brain Week 2022.
- March 10, 2022: Participation in the evening-debate around the “challenges of a bridge between Art and Science” at the Panacée Montpellier.
- February 12 to April 24, 2022: participation in the exhibition “Keep On Rotting in The Free World” by Max Hooper Schneider at the MO.CO Panacée Montpellier as part of the collaboration carried out in December 2021
- December 2021: Participation in the creation of Max Hooper Schneider hosted by the MO.CO. Implementation of a chemical reaction of mercury thiocyanate combustion: the Pharaoh Snake.
- Participation in the creation of the play by the company Anaïs K. “Crazy ally”. Theme: bipolar disorder.
- September 28, 2021: Participation in the Science and Art evening on the theme “Ode to Chaos” organized at the Agora du
- March 16, 2021: Webinar meeting/debate on the theme “Art and Olfaction: feeling is feeling? ” as part of Brain Week 2021.
- March 12, 2019: Evening meeting/debate “Art & Brain, or how our brain decrypts Art” as part of Brain Week 2019.
- June 30 to July 4, 2018: intervention/exhibition at the Congress of the Chemical Society of France (SCF).
- May 15, 2018: Screening/debate/exhibition evening at the Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Chimie de Montpellier (ENSCM).
- March 13, 2018: Evening meeting/debate on the theme “The brain in music” as part of Brain Week 2018.
- February 20, 2017 : Evening screening/debate/exhibition at the Maison des Etudiants Aimé Schoenig – Site Richter Montpellier.
- June 30, 2016 : official launch of the ICGM/IES/ENSAM/ESBAMA – Institute of Electronics and Systems – Campus Saint-Priest Montpellier partnership. Intervention of Léonor REY, creator of the Porosity platform.